Dr. Sandra Magnus, former Atlantis astronaut, will present a webinar titled “Mission Possible: Adapting to New Norms” at 2 p.m. CDT Friday, April 17. The virtual event, hosted by Missouri S&T, is open to the campus community and the general public.
Magnus, a Missouri S&T graduate, will share real-life experiences, coping mechanisms, encouragement and advice for dealing with challenges associated with the coronavirus pandemic, such as social isolation.
During her talk, Magnus will be available to answer questions from students and other audience members.
Magnus flew her first mission to the International Space Station in 2002 aboard the space shuttle Atlantis. She returned to the space station in 2008 for a four-month assignment as a science officer and made her last flight in 2011 as one of four crew members on the final journey of Atlantis, the mission that closed the book on NASA’s shuttle program.
Today, Magnus is deputy director for engineering in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering. She is the chief engineer for advanced capabilities and leads engineering policy, practice, and the engineering workforce, as well as digital and systems engineering initiatives and mission integration for the U.S. Department of Defense.
Magnus earned a bachelor’s degree in physics and a master’s degree in electrical engineering at Missouri S&T in 1986 and 1990, respectively, and a Ph.D. in engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1996. Missouri S&T named Magnus an Alumni of Influence in 2016.
Do you have questions you’d like Dr. Magnus to answer? Please send them to email@example.com by Wednesday, April 15. Questions will be selected based on time limits.
To attend the webinar, go to rol.la/Magnus_Adapting.
Share this page
Looking for something?
CASB Department News
- Army ROTC Stonehenge Battalion (8)
- Department of Arts, Languages and Philosophy (247)
- Department of Biological Sciences (64)
- Department of Business and Information Technology (49)
- Department of Chemistry (90)
- Department of Economics (6)
- Department of English and Technical Communication (53)
- Department of History and Political Science (109)
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics (28)
- Department of Physics (61)
- Department of Psychology (30)
- Department of Teacher Education and Certification (13)
- Chemical and Biochemical Engineering (67)
- Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering (215)
- Computer Science (74)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (118)
- Engineering Management and Systems Engineering (74)
- Geological Sciences and Engineering (56)
- Materials Science and Engineering (91)
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (127)
- Mining and Nuclear Engineering (77)
- Mining Engineering (73)
- Historian’s passion for the past inspires new experiential learning opportunities
- College of Engineering and Computing honors graduate students
- Missouri S&T alumnus named chair of mechanical and aerospace engineering
- Leach Theatre delays start of 2020-21 CPAS season
- Missouri S&T offers online medallion and certificate courses this summer
- Missouri S&T researchers work to develop simple test for breast cancer on
- Environmental engineers study fabrics, materials for face covers on
- S&T researcher examines if AI have a mind of their own on
- Missouri S&T names new chair of chemical and biochemical engineering on
- Missouri S&T plans to return to campus in six phases on