Eleven employees at Missouri University of Science and Technology were honored Wednesday, May 29, for their contributions to the campus during Missouri S&T’s Staff Recognition Day celebration.
Each winner received a certificate and plaque during the awards ceremony, which began at 9:30 a.m. in the St. Pat’s Ballroom of the Havener Center.
The winners were selected from a group of staff members who were nominated by faculty, staff and students. Winners are selected on the basis of their job performance, relationship with associates and dedication to Missouri S&T.
Eight staff members received the 2019 Staff Excellence Award. They are:
- Jason Birdsong, custodian in custodial and landscape services
- Cindy Barton, office support assistant in admissions
- John Chaplin, carpenter in design, construction and space management
- Pam Crabtree, administrative assistant in physics
- Keri DeGraffenreid, senior student support specialist in admissions
- Misty House, program and project support coordinator for the provost’s office
- Elaina Manson, office support assistant in computer science
- Doug Roberts, chief of University Police.
This year, S&T Staff Council created a new award for a staff member who is new to campus, having worked at S&T two years or fewer, and making a positive impact. Kimberly Courtney, senior operations support technician for parking operations, received the 2019 Newcomer Award.
Also new to Staff Council in 2019, is the Outstanding Faculty Award. This award recognizes a faculty member who is actively engaged in supporting staff across campus. Dr. Suzanna Long, chair and professor of engineering management and systems engineering and a graduate of S&T, received the 2019 Outstanding Faculty Award.
In addition to the staff and faculty excellence awards, Staff Council presented the Jan Buhlinger Spirit Award to Lisa Winstead, senior secretary in the Intelligent Systems Center. The award is named for the late Jan Buhlinger, a former Missouri S&T staff member and member of Staff Council. Recipients are selected by Staff Council based on their Missouri S&T spirit.
Staff Council also recognized interim Chancellor Chris Maples and presented him with a certificate of appreciation for his support of and service to S&T staff during his time on campus.