Missouri University of Science and Technology Provost Robert Marley recently presented 16 faculty members with the Faculty External Award for their efforts to raise the university’s visibility nationally and internationally.
This new award is designed to recognize faculty who have received recognition from organizations outside the university and who are helping to raise Missouri S&T’s visibility in the areas of research or instruction. The Faculty External Awards and Recognition Committee assisted in the process by developing the selection criteria and evaluating nominees, which were nominated by department chairs.
Winners of the Faculty External Award are:
- Dr. Muthanna Al-Dahhan, professor and chair of chemical and biochemical engineering, for being named Fellow of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Dr. Gerald Cohen, professor of foreign languages, for receiving the Frederic G. Cassidy Award for Distinguished Achievement in Lexicography or Lexicology
- Dr. Richard Dawes, associate professor of chemistry, for receiving the Flygare Award at the International Symposium on Molecular Spectroscopy
- Dr. Shari Dunn-Norman, associate professor of petroleum engineering, for receiving the 2015 Distinguished Membership Award from the Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Dr. Suzanna Long, associate professor and interim chair of engineering management and systems engineering, for being named Fellow of the American Society for Engineering Management
- Dr. John C. McManus, Curators’ Professor of history, for being named a National Endowment for the Humanities Public Scholar
- Dr. Joseph Newkirk, associate professor of metallurgical engineering, for being named Fellow of ASM International
- Dr. David Pommerenke, professor of electrical engineering, for being named an IEEE Fellow
- Dr. Von Richards, the Robert V. Wolf Professor of Metallurgical Engineering, for receiving the Thomas E. Barlow Award of Honor from the Steel Founders Society
- Dr. V.A. Samaranayake, Curators’ Teaching Professor of mathematics and statistics, for being named Fellow of the American Statistical Association
- Dr. Jeffrey D. Smith, associate professor of ceramic engineering, for receiving the Distinguished Life Award for the United Technical Congress on Refractories
- Dr. Jay A. Switzer, the Donald L. Castleman/FCR Professor of Discovery in Chemistry, for being named Fellow of the Materials Research Society
- Dr. Thomas Vojta, professor of physics, for being named Fellow of the American Physical Society
- Dr. Donald C. Wunsch II, the Mary K. Finley Missouri Distinguished Professor of Computer Engineering, for receiving the Gabor Award from the International Neural Networks Society
- Dr. Chengshan Xiao, professor of electrical engineering, for receiving the 2015 Wireless Communications Technical Committee Recognition Award
- Dr. Rosa Zheng, professor of electrical engineering, for being named IEEE Fellow.