This week on the campus of the University of Missouri-Rolla, students are busy chasing imaginary snakes with big sticks called shillelaghs. Next week, several traditional events will be held in anticipation of St. Patrick’s Day.
The festivities will culminate with a parade through downtown Rolla at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Mach 17.
UMR has a long tradition of celebrating St. Pat’s. Near the beginning of the 20th century, a group of Rolla students declared St. Patrick the patron saint of engineers.
The schedule for 99th annual St. Pat’s celebration at UMR is as follows:
– Monday, March 12: noon-1 p.m., St. Pat’s Follies at the Hockey Puck, a campus landmark that is located on the mall in front of the Mechanical Engineering Building.
– Tuesday, March 13: noon-1 p.m., St. Pat’s Follies at the Hockey Puck.
– Wednesday, March 14: noon, St. Pat, portrayed by a UMR student, and his court, ceremoniously garbed in green and gold, will arrive in Rolla near the railroad tracks on Eighth Street; Follies will follow at the pavilion on the corner of Eighth and Oak streets in downtown Rolla.
– Thursday, March 15: 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Gonzo games on the Fraternity Row Field.
– Friday, March 16: 11 a.m.-5 p.m., more St. Pat’s games on the Fraternity Row Field; 9 p.m., Coronation Ceremonies in Leach Theatre of UMR’s Castleman Hall.
– Saturday, March 17: 11 a.m.-noon, Parade, featuring St. Pat, the Queen of Love and Beauty and Honorary Knights, on Pine Street in Rolla; Grateful Board Concert and Town Follies at the pavilion immediately following the parade; 6 p.m., rock concert featuring Shinedown and Trapt at the Gale Bullman Multi-Purpose Building, 10th Street and Bishop Avenue, Rolla; 6 p.m. St. Pat’s Grand Ball at the Havener Center on campus.