In the weeks ahead, students at the University of Missouri-Rolla will bash imaginary snakes with big sticks called shillelaghs, dye food and beverages green, grow long beards, select honorary knights and elect a Queen of Love and Beauty.
The festivities culminate with a parade through downtown Rolla on the weekend of St. Patrick’s Day. This year’s parade is scheduled for March 18.
UMR has a long tradition of celebrating St. Pat’s. Near the beginning of the 20th century, a group of Rolla students declared St. Patrick the patron saint of engineers.
The schedule for 98th annual St. Pat’s celebration at UMR is as follows:
– March 6-8: Snake Invasion Monday through Wednesday on campus.
– Monday, March 13: noon-1 p.m., St. Pat’s Follies to be held at the Hockey Puck, a campus landmark that is located on the mall in front of the Mechanical Engineering Building.
– Tuesday, March 14: noon-1 p.m., St. Pat’s Follies to be held at the Hockey Puck, a campus landmark that is located on the mall in front of the Mechanical Engineering Building.
– Wednesday, March 15: noon-1:30 p.m., St. Pat, portrayed by a UMR student, and his court, ceremoniously garbed in green and gold, will arrive in Rolla near the railroad tracks on Eighth Street; Follies will follow St. Pat’s arrival at the pavilion on the corner of Eighth and Oak streets in downtown Rolla.
– Thursday, March 16: 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Gonzo games on the Fraternity Row Field.
– Friday, March 17: 11 a.m.-5 p.m., more St. Pat’s games on the Fraternity Row Field; 9 p.m., Coronation Ceremonies in Leach Theatre of UMR’s Castleman Hall.
– Saturday, March 18: 11 a.m.-noon, Parade on Pine Street in Rolla.