The tragic mining accident in West Virginia prompted many regional and national reporters to contact UMR, which operates its own experimental mine and has the only student mine rescue team in the country.
Most of the reporters spoke with Dr. Larry Grayson, chair of the mining and nuclear engineering department at UMR and an expert in mining and mine safety.
Among the resulting stories online are:
1. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (published Jan. 8, 2006)
2. New York Times (published Jan. 7, 2006)
3. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (published Jan. 4, 2006)
4. Springfield News-Leader (published Jan. 4, 2006)
5. Watch the KY-3 NBC (Springfield) story featuring Grayson and footage from UMR’s Experimental Mine. (aired Jan. 3, 2006)
6. Grayson also appeared on CNBC at 3:10 p.m. Jan. 4, 2006.