Faculty and students from the University of Missouri-Rolla were honored by the St. Louis Section of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) at its annual awards banquet and social held Dec. 19 in St. Louis.
Dr. Badrul Chowdhury, professor of electrical and computer engineering at UMR, received the Outstanding Section Member Award for his service to the St. Louis Section of the IEEE Power Engineering Society (PES). Chowdhury was cited for his leadership in the PES, including service as chair of the PES chapter and co-chair of the 35th North American Power Symposium.
Vicki M. Eller, project manager in the information technology department at UMR, received the Outstanding Young Engineer Award for her innovative work with educational software and leadership in student activities. Eller of Cape Girardeau, Mo., a graduate student in electrical engineering at UMR, is the current student representative to the University of Missouri’s Board of Curators. She received her bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering from UMR in 2000.
James Fonda of Grassy, Mo., a graduate student in electrical engineering at UMR, received the Outstanding Student Member Award for his contributions to the section’s annual black box competition and his involvement in student service. Fonda earned his bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering from UMR in 2001.
In addition, Dr. William Ebel, chair of the electrical engineering department at St. Louis University, received the Outstanding Educator Award for his contributions as an educator. He received his bachelor of science, master of science and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from UMR in 1983, 1985 and 1991 respectively.
Several faculty members were also elevated to senior member status, recognizing their significant performance in engineering. Only senior members can hold an executive IEEE volunteer position.
Receiving the senior member designation were:
– Dr. Waleed Al-Assadi, assistant professor of electrical engineering.
– Dr. Daryl G. Beetner, assistant professor of electrical engineering.
– Dr. Kelvin T. Erickson, chair and professor of electrical engineering.
– Dr. Nancy E. Hubing, associate professor of basic engineering.
– Dr. Ray A. Luechtefeld, assistant professor of engineering management.
– David Pommerenke, associate professor of electrical engineering.
– Dr. Bijaya Shrestha, electrical engineering.
– Dr. R. Joe Stanley, assistant professor of electrical engineering.
– Dr. Marina Koledintseva, visiting associate professor of electrical engineering
– Francis S. Mack, Minority in Engineering and Science Program coordinator for St. Louis.