Eight University of Missouri-Rolla faculty members received Deans Teaching Scholar Awards from UMR Chancellor John F. Carney III on Feb. 1.
UMR established the award in 2004 to honor faculty members for their ability to create and maintain an outstanding learning environment for students. The award is designed to promote and encourage excellence across campus.
Award winners are selected by the dean of each school or college based on student course evaluations, department chair recommendations, and evidence of good teaching practices. The recipients are appointed to a three-year term and receive $2,000 per year. The annual award is open to all UMR faculty members except Distinguished Teaching Professors.
The following faculty members were selected for the awards:
- Dr. David Van Aken, professor of materials science and engineering
- Dr. Ron Bieniek, associate professor of physics and director of the office of undergraduate studies
- Dr. Jeff Cawlfield, professor of geological sciences and engineering and director of the freshman engineering program
- Dr. Xiaoping Du, assistant professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering
- Dr. Ralph Flori, associate professor of interdisciplinary engineering and associate dean of engineering for pre-college and undergraduate affairs
- Dr. Richard Hall, professor of information science and technology
- Dr. Michael Nelson, assistant professor of psychology
- Dr. Tim Philpot, associate professor of interdisciplinary engineering.