Thirteen electrical engineering seniors and recent graduates each received a $5,000 Grainger Power Engineering Award from the electrical engineering department at Missouri University of Science and Technology this spring. The awards are presented as a reward for academic excellence.
The Power Engineering Awards are funded by a $1.3 million endowment from The Grainger Foundation of Chicago. Missouri S&T is recognized by Grainger for its ability to attract top students and educate quality engineers and is one of only six universities in the nation chosen to receive such funding.
Each spring, the Grainger Power Engineering Award is typically presented to up to 13 electrical engineering graduate and undergraduate students who plan to pursue careers in power engineering. Selection of recipients is based on academic performance, exhibited interest in power engineering and extra-curricular activities.
To be eligible for this year’s award, students must have graduated with degrees in electrical engineering in August or December of 2011 or May 2012 and have emphasized their course work in power engineering. All of the recipients had significant power engineering experience, either through company internships, research projects or design projects.
2012 recipients of the Power Engineering Awards are:
- Tyler Allen of O’Fallon, Ill., a 2012 electrical engineering graduate
- Kenneth Bassler III of Belleville, Ill., a Dec. 2011 electrical engineering graduate
- Jason Buchanan from Rolla, Mo., a 2012 electrical engineering 2012 graduate
- Zachary Johnson of Lee’s Summit, Mo., a 2012 master’s degree recipient in electrical engineering
- Hao Liu of Festus, Mo., a December 2011 electrical engineering graduate
- Nickolas McFowland of Ferguson, Mo., a 2012 master’s degree recipient in electrical engineering
- David Macke Jr. of Glendale, Mo., a 2012 electrical engineering graduate
- Andrew Meintz of Troy, Mich., a 2011 Ph.D. recipient in electrical engineering
- Stephen Moerer of Parkville, Mo., a 2012 electrical engineering graduate
- Katlyn Peterson of Granby, Mo., a 2012 electrical engineering graduate
- Adam Reab of Blue Grass, Iowa, a 2012 electrical engineering graduate
- Amir Saad of Schenectady, N.Y., a 2012 master’s degree recipient in electrical engineering
- Daniel Sierra of Kansas City, Mo., a 2012 electrical engineering graduate